“For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power; love and self-discipline” 2 Timothy 1:7
As we find ourselves in this unique time of Coronavirus, we want to start a conversation, spark some prayers- how can we love our neighbors in this time? Here are some ideas…
- Pray for your neighbors- both within and outside of the church. Send a text, ask how they are, ask if they’re scared, and tell them you’re praying. Lets not forget the power of asking questions and standing together, virtually, in this time.
- Put together little packs to give to parking attendants, delivery people, or others you come into contact with. Some ideas for the pack: hand sanitizer, bar of soap, pack of Vitamin C, card of encouragement in English and Vietnamese. Think about what fits your context.
- The kids in your neighborhood are spending much more time at home too! Make a packet of coloring pages you print, buy a coloring book and new crayons, put together a little craft kit, a new book, or card game. Or even just give them some stickers! Maybe even read some kids books on video and send them the file to watch!
- If you’re going out to the market, ask your neighbors if you can buy anything for them while you’re out so less people have to be going out right now- especially the elderly amongst us! Since not everything is available at every shop, when you go shopping, remember the packets (see #2 and #3 above) you want to assemble and if possible pick up a few extra things when you see them (hand sanitizer, masks, etc.).
- I love seeing all the cooking creations you’re coming up with during this extended time inside! Bake cookies or muffins for your neighbors and leave it on their doors. You don’t bake? Buy some oranges or nuts or other healthy snacks and share with neighbors! Write a card or print out a card of encouragement from the HIF website to let them know you’re praying for them.
- Who do you usually see at church? Go ahead and drop them a text to connect and let them know you’re thinking of them! Even better- have a zoom meeting and have coffee together! You could even have a Wednesday night zoom worship time together! Grab Delivery is still working at this time- even to send a meal or something thoughtful to remind them they’re not alone! We are all facing unique struggles in this time- don’t go at it alone!
- Hop on over to the HIF Community FB page, the HIF Women’s Connect page or HIF Young Adults page and share any encouraging books you’ve read or podcasts you’ve been listening to.
- Start a virtual book club and open it up to co-workers and others who are home right now!